[R] Help installing R commander in Fedora 13...

Allan Engelhardt allane at cybaea.com
Wed Jun 30 21:51:39 CEST 2010

There is a Fedora mailing list for R which might be better, but some
suggestions:

On 30/06/10 20:18, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> I did a standard install of R on Fedora 13 using yum as root, which I
> assumed installed both the base packages and the devel packages needed

If you want the developer packages, install them especially R-devel
which should pull in most of the tools you need

you install R-devel

> [...]
>
> install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE) as root, within R

Please don't do that (run as root, it is).  R will happily install in
you own area, and I set

export R_LIBS=$HOME/R

in my ~/.bash_profile and install everything there.

> [...]
>   error: unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/libs/
> tcltk.so':

Do you have tcl installed?

yum install tcl tcl-devel

>   /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Select_Size

You also need

yum install fontconfig-devel

Hope this gets you a little further

Allan