[R] Three most useful R package

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Wed Mar 3 18:48:31 CET 2010

Dieter,

One way to check if a package is active, is by looking on r-forge. If you
are referring to data.table you would have found it is actually very active
at the moment and is far from abandoned.

What you may be referring to is a warning, not an error, with v1.2 on
R2.10+.  That was fixed many moons ago. The r-forge version is where its at.

Rather than commenting in public about a warning on a package, and making a
conclusion about its abandonment, and doing this without copying the
maintainer, perhaps you could have contacted the maintainer to let him know
you had found a problem.  That would have been a more community spirited
action to take.  Doing that at the time you found out would have been
helpful too rather than saving it up for now.  Or you can always check the
svn logs yourself,  as the r-forge guys even made that trivial to do.

All,

Can we please now stop this thread ?  The crantastic people worked hard to
provide a better solution.  If the community refuses to use crantastic,
thats up to the community, but to start now filling up r-help with votes on
packages when so much effort was put in to a much much better solution ages
ago?  Its as quick to put your votes into crantastic as it is to write to
r-help.  What your problem, folks, with crantastic?   The second reply
mentioned crantastic but you all chose to ignore it,  it seems.  If you want
to vote, use crantastic.  If you don't want to vote,  don't vote.  But using
r-help to vote ?!  The better solution is right there:
http://crantastic.org/

Matthew

news:1267626882999-1576618.post at n4.nabble.com...