[R] Unsigned Posts; Was Setting graphical parameters

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri Mar 5 00:47:48 CET 2010

On 03/05/2010 04:11 AM, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Rolf's (appropriate, in my view) response below seems symptomatic of an
> increasing tendency of posters to hide their identities with pseudonyms and
> fake headers. While some of this may be due to identity paranoia (which I
> think is overblown for this list), I suspect that a good chunk of it is lazy
> students trying to beat the system by having us do their homework. The
> etiquette of this list has traditionally been, like the software, open: we
> sign our names. I would urge helpeRs to adhere to this etiquette and ignore
> unsigned posts.
>
> Contrary views welcome, either via public or private responses.

Hi Bert (and anyone else who wishes to read this),

I had a working hypothesis about this, but decided to check the data
before replying. Looking at the ten most recent obvious pseudonyms, all
were from free email accounts like gmail or yahoo. A few of these
included all or part of the name of the user anyway. As such accounts
tend to be used for lots of things, the users may well be concerned
about identification, even if everyone on the R help list is of the
highest moral standing. I think Rolf's guess about the provenance of the
request was based upon the carefully copied format, which Blind Freddie
could see was homework (and the requester actually admitted it!).
Personally, I never answer requests that have the due date for the
assignment at the bottom.

Jim