[R] How To Display Current/Next Line Using browser()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 9 20:38:10 CET 2010

On 09/03/2010 1:45 PM, xallanmillerx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running R 2.10 on a Linux console, inserted a call to browser() in an R
> script that I source() form the R command line.  Two quick questions:
>
> (1) Once you are in the "browser prompt," is there any way to display the
> current/next line to be executed without executing it?  I can issue an "n"
> command to view the line, but was wondering if there's a simple "display
> current line" command to view the source code before I execute it.

I don't know of a way.  If the code was sourced with source references,
it may tell you the line number, and you could look it up from that, but
I don't think there's any way to just say "show me the next line".
> (2) Is there any way to exit the browser() prompt to go back to the R prompt
> without typing "c" to continue execution?  I tried using Ctl-C, but this
> stays within the browser.

Q will quit the browser.  The ?browser help page gives the full list of
commands.

Duncan Murdoch