[R] lattice: defining graphical parameters

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Mar 24 18:46:46 CET 2010

Jannis:

I understand your confusion, but you need to read and follow the lattice
documentation more carefully. You may also wish to consider getting
Deepayan's book, which provides a gentler, less terse, and more organized
guide to lattice's complexities with many more examples.

Anyway, names(trellis.par.get()) shows you that there is NO component named
"top.padding"  Rather, "top.padding" is one of the components of the
"layout.heights" list which IS one of the components of the
trellis.par.get() settings list. To change the "top.padding" component of
THIS list you therefore should do:

trellis.par.set(layout.heights = list(top.padding = .5))

(I'm not sure this will do what you want, but at least the call will be
correct.)

All this is explained in ?trellis.par.set.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics