[R] Insert .eps files in to an R plot.

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Mar 25 16:42:29 CET 2010

mnstn wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
> I have an eps figure an awesome bacteria and a plot (generated using R)
> also in eps format. Now it looks like there is space for only one figure
> and I have to insert the picture of the bacteria into the plot. Is there a
> way to insert figures (eps/png/jpg) in to plots (may be control over
> placement of figures in the plot as well?) ? By plots I mean data
> represented using axes and points and such and by figures I mean cartoons,
> pictures taken by a camera and such.
> Thanks,
> MoonStone

The grImport package on CRAN offers this functionality.  Although I would
caution that if you do this- consider carefully if adding the picture of
bacteria enhances or distracts from the results or analysis you are
presenting in the plot.

If the picture is not strongly related to the data you are presentin, and I
mean more related than just being a picture of the critter you analyzed, it
may be better to just leave it out.  Including it could lower the
signal-to-noise ratio of the graph and decrease the impact of the analysis.

I know it's a tough choice to omit a really good graphic when you have a
space constraint, but it is usually not worth sacrificing the clarity of
other graphics by smashing two things together if they are only marginally
related.

Good luck!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University