[R] BRugs dwwinn.exe error

Fabio Valeri fabio.valeri at bluewin.ch
Thu May 6 14:57:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a strange behaviour of openBUGS and WinBUGS when I start them
from R.

Version:
R: 2.10.1
openBUGS: 3.07
WinBUGS: 1.43
R2WinBUGS: 2.1-16
BRugs: 0.5-3

I have a model and data without initial start values. If I use the stand
alone versions of openBUGS and WinBUGS I don't have any problems and I
get what I want.

If I use function bugs() from R2WinBUGS- resp. BRugs-Library then both
begin to compute but do not end. If I use a simple model with data and
initial values bugs() works fine. So, I have to assume that there is
something in my model which is not compatible with bugs().

The model is:
-------------------------------------
model generateStartingValues
{
for (s in 1:Datasets) {
    lambda[s]~dunif(0.1,0.9)
    for (i in 1:K){
      eltheta[s,i]~dunif(0.1,0.3)
      q[s,i]~dunif(0.1,0.4)
          }
     }
}
-------------------------------------

DATA
list(K=19,Datasets=500)

As I said this works fine with openBUGS and WinBUGS.

I start BUGS from R-Console with
--------------------------------
Datasets <- 500
K <- 19
data <- list("Datasets","K")
mod1 <- bugs(data,inits=NULL
         ,model.file="generateStartingValues.bug"
         ,parameters=c("eltheta","q")
         ,n.chains=1, n.iter=1000
         ,bugs.directory="D:/WinBUGS14"
         ,debug=TRUE
         #,program="openbugs"
         )
--------------------------------

After starting bugs() the WinBUGS-Window has been opened (log- and
trap-window) and after a long while (10 minuites-trial and one
hour-trial) it does still compute or what ever. If I close the WinBUGs
window the R-Console gives:
****************************
Fehler in bugs.run(n.burnin, bugs.directory, WINE = WINE, useWINE =
useWINE,  :
  Look at the log file and
try again with 'debug=TRUE' to figure out what went wrong within Bugs.
****************************
There is no log-File but I copied the content of the log-window (see below).

If I start openBUGS from R:
After about 5 seconds a window appears indicating a "dwwinn.exe-Error":
dwwinn.exe - Fehler in Anwendung
Die Ausanahme "unknown softare exception" (x800000003) ist  in der
Anwendung an der Stelle 0x7c91120 aufgetreten.
OK Cancel

The output on R-Console is
***************************************
model is syntactically correct
data loaded
model compiled
initial value generated, model initialized
Sampling  has been started ...
***************************************

To finish I have to close the R-console.

Maybe there is something I missed. I would be very happy if somebody
could give me a hint. I could use the stand alone versions but working
with R is so comfortable.

Thank you

Fabio

content of log-Window (WinBUGS)
*******************************
display(log)
check(C:/DOKUME~1/Fabio/LOKALE~1/Temp/RtmpXILhKP/generateStartingValues.bug.txt)
model is syntactically correct
data(C:/DOKUME~1/Fabio/LOKALE~1/Temp/RtmpXILhKP/data.txt)
data loaded
compile(1)
model compiled
gen.inits()
initial values generated, model initialized
thin.updater(1)
update(500)
set(eltheta)
set(q)