[R] What does this warning mean: "DLL attempted to change FPU control word from 8001f to 9001f"

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:42:47 CEST 2010

On 17/05/2010 6:58 AM, S Ellison wrote:
> There's a note on this issue at
> http://www.nag.co.uk/numeric/RunderWindows.asp
>
> which claims it can 'safely be ignored'.

That's very specific to NAG.  The quote continues:  "Only one of the NAG
routines uses a different FPU control word and this routine returns the
control word to its original value before exiting."  If that claim is
true, then it is indeed safe.  But it also claims:  "This is a common
issue when calling DLLs compiled using a visual studio compiler (as per
the NAG library)..." which is true, but somewhat misleading.  The
Microsoft default is to change the FPU control word so it is a common
issue, but it is easily avoided.

There are two potential problems:

 - The library may change the control word again.  I think it is fairly
common for this to happen, e.g. in string conversions of floating point
values for display.  If it does, then R will subsequently produce
incorrect results.

 - The library may depend on the setting it chose.  (It was almost
certainly tested with that setting in place.)  Since R has changed it,
the library itself may later produce garbage results.

I would not ignore the error.

Duncan Murdoch