[R] best polynomial approximation

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue May 18 01:01:41 CEST 2010

Hi,

My understanding is that Chebyshev polynomials solve the minimax
approximation problem.  If this correct, what you need is an algorithm to
compute Chebyshev polynomial approximation. I have written an R function to
do this.  See the attached code that contains the function and an example.

Is this helpful?

I am not sure if there are better algorithms in some R packages.

Ravi.