[R] best polynomial approximation

Hans W Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Tue May 18 12:10:51 CEST 2010

I guess you may be looking for the Remez algorithm. AFAIK there is no
implementation in one of the R packages. You can find FORTRAN code in the
Collected Algorithms of the ACM (no. 604) which probably could be called
from R.

There appears to exist a discrete, equi-distant(?) version as function
'remez' in the signal package, if that is of any help to you. I have never
used it.

Regards,  Hans Werner

P.S.: The Chebyshev polynomials do not compute the "best polynomial
approximation", but they provide a nice way to estimate the maximal distance
to this best approximating polynomial.