[R] Rdindex truncating titles?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 17:12:18 CET 2010

On 07/11/2010 9:17 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
> On 8/11/2010, at 1:24 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
> 	<SNIP>
>
> >  ...  The docs do say to
> >  limit the length of titles to 65 characters if possible; this is one
> >  place where it matters.
>
> 	<SNIP>
>
> The 65 character limit had not previously impinged itself upon my consciousness.
> Adhering to this limit certainly seems to ``fix'' the problem.
>
> Actually some experimentation seems to indicate that 72 characters is the effective
> limit.  If a word spans the 72 character point, then the line is truncated just
> before that point.
>
> Again, I'm sure this didn't happen in the past; something has changed.  But we
> move on when the world moves on.

I've taken a closer look at this, and I think we don't need to impose
the 65 character limit in most places, so I'm going to remove it.  (The
title shown in the title bar of your browser will still be truncated,
but not the one shown in the main text of the help topic, or the one you
noticed in the help index.)

Duncan Murdoch