[R] Problem with nlme package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 23:30:37 CET 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 5:22 PM, <Bill.Venables at csiro.au> <Bill.Venables at csiro.au
 > wrote:

> The function is not exported from the package.  You have to get
> tough with it, e.g.
>
>> library(nlme)
>> summary.lme
> Error: object 'summary.lme' not found

> But if you insist:
>
>> nlme:::summary.lme
> function (object, adjustSigma = TRUE, verbose = FALSE, ...)
> {
>    fixed <- fixef(object)
>
> You cannot do this with lme4 since there the methods are S4 rather
> than S3 (which is why it has a 4 in the name, I suspect, like the
> stats4 package).

Then I must be confused. The usual approach of :

methods(summary.lme)  ---> summary.lme*  (among many others)
getAnywhere(summary.lme)

A single object matching ‘summary.lme’ was found
It was found in the following places
   registered S3 method for summary from namespace nlme
   namespace:nlme

... seems to work just fine.

--
David.