[R] Fwd: Fwd: R help

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 02:50:47 CET 2010

> Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:01:44 -0800
> From: jwiley.psych at gmail.com
> To: ahmedatia80 at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Fwd: Fwd: R help
>
> Dear Ahmed,
>
> Can you give a more specific example of what you want to do? Do you
> mean you want to test specific contrasts for a categorical variable?
>

> If you are new to R, you will find it helpful to read the Introduction to R
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html
>
> I also recommend going through an introductory book. There are many,
> my personal favorite is: "Introductory Statistics with R" by Peter
> Dalgaard

btw, does anyone here routinely edit stats articles for wikipedia?
Many articles types have boxes or forms for properties of instance
of catagories- such as atomic weights for elements. It would be nice
if the wikipedia articles had standard references to notables stats
packages like R but references seem inconsistent. I haven't contributed
in a while and maybe this is more apropriate to bring up on wikipedia
but something to consider when thinking about documentation and how
to refer people on this list to intro material.

In R, once you know a name you can type "?name" but the hard
part is often finding the name. When doc files can be downloaded
locally into one place, I usually grep them for supposed keywords
or just build an index of keywords. Not sure how I could do that with
R but I haven't looked for a doc download enmasse that I can text
process to my own liking.