[R] Newbie Help Please

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 01:41:05 CET 2010

Hi,

It is really hard to help much without some example data.  If you
create a minimal example, we can probably help more.  My guess is that
the data is not in the proper format to do what you want.  Take a look
at the results of str(YourData).  Whatever you are doing boxplots by
(example males and females; small, medium, large companies, etc.) is
best stored as a factor (the storage type will show up when you run
str() on your dataset).  Here is an example of one way to create
boxplots in R using a built in data set:

boxplot(Sepal.Length ~ Species, data = iris)

Cheers,

Josh

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM, plog397 <plog397 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi I am doing a project at school for another company. We are very new to R
> and are close to a deadline and nowhere near finished. With that said, our
> data files are csv format, and have 3 columns (date, time, precipitation).
> When I do a boxplot it displays the graph all weird. We combined date and
> time to display as the x-axis, but it is will displaying very oddly. Does
> anyone know how to make it so we can display just time as X? Any suggestions
> or ideas would help, thank you very much.
> --

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles