[R] file reading problem unique to windows. Err info: Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")). cannot open the connection

Yong Wang wangyong1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 03:00:08 CET 2010

Dear List

I asked this question before, got some tips but can't get it solved.
it is clear now that this problem only occurs when run on windows (I
tested it on windows XP) nothing wrong at all when run on unix.
unfortunately, sometimes I have to run it on windows,
I appreciate any suggestion on how to circumvent this problem when run
on windows.
below is the problem description I submitted before.

I am running a loop downloading  web pages and save the html to a
temporary file (use download.file() )
 then read (using readLines)  it in for processing;
finally write useful info from each processed page to a unique file

the problem is once the loop runs up to somewhere near  5000, it will
throw out an err like below and won't go further.

Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :
 cannot open the connection

In the meantime, a request for new connection won't be successful, for
example, a request for the help page of "file" will trigger err below

 ?file
Error in gzfile(file, "rb") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In gzfile(file, "rb") :
 cannot open compressed file
'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.1/library/stats/help/aliases.rds', probable
reason 'Too many open files'

I am not sure if the problem is too many connections not closed. since
I close the file connection after each readLines.
checking with showConnections(all=T) does not show excessive
connections and closeAllConnections() does not help.

Can any one help me on this?

Any answer highly appreciated.

yong