[R] the first. from SAS in R

Nutter, Benjamin NutterB at ccf.org
Mon Nov 29 14:45:50 CET 2010

My apologies for coming to the party so late.

I'm sure this question has been answered a couple of times.  The
attached function is one I pulled from the help archives, but I can't
seem to duplicate the search that led me to it.

In any case, I've attached the function I found, and an .Rd file I use
as part of a local package.  I've also attached a pair of accompanying
records to retrieve the last record and the nth record.  These have the
advantage of not requiring data frames to be sorted prior to
extraction--the function will sort them for you.

Benjamin