[R] colored rasterImage()

Ben Tupper ben.bighair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 04:50:01 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have been exploring the possibility to transition some code that
currently uses image() to use the new rasterImage().  To date, I
haven't been able to specify a color look-up strategy that works.  For
example...

nx <- 100
ny <- 100
m <- matrix(data = rep(seq(0,1, length = nx), ny), ncol = nx, nrow =
ny, byrow = TRUE)
plot(1:nx, 1:ny, type = "n")
my.color <- matrix(data = (rainbow(100))[m*100], ncol = nx, nrow = ny,
byrow = TRUE)
rasterImage(m, 1, 1, nx, ny, col = my.color)

This yields a greyscale image. Is it possible to create colored images
using rasterImage, and, if so, what is the correct way to generate a
colored image using rasterImage?

Also, is there a vignette or tutorial on using the new rasterImage()
and related functions?

Thanks!
Ben Tupper
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science