[R] tools:::fetchRdDB can't allocate memory block?

Ken Williams kenahoo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:41:01 CEST 2010

I'm developing an R package, and when I recompile (using Roxygen),
detach, and re-load the package, I can't seem to look at some of its
documented functions.  When I try '?function.name', I get the
following error:

  Error in tools:::fetchRdDB(RdDB, basename(file)) :
    cannot allocate memory block of size 2.6 Gb

I'm using R.app's built-in documentation viewer.

I don't get the same error when I look at the docs for built-in
functions, e.g. '?cos' works fine.

Most of the .Rd files spit out by Roxygen are very simple, e.g. here's
one that fails to be viewed, it has only 4 lines:

in man/ndcg.Rd:
\name{ndcg}
\alias{ndcg}
\title{ndcg}
\usage{ndcg(pr, position=5, ...)}

Anyone have any thoughts?

Here's my R.version:

               _
platform       i386-apple-darwin9.8.0
arch           i386
os             darwin9.8.0
system         i386, darwin9.8.0
status
major          2
minor          11.1
year           2010
month          05
day            31
svn rev        52157
language       R
version.string R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)

Thanks.

 -Ken