[R] tools:::fetchRdDB can't allocate memory block?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 18:32:29 CEST 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Ken Williams wrote:

> I'm developing an R package, and when I recompile (using Roxygen),
> detach, and re-load the package, I can't seem to look at some of its
> documented functions.  When I try '?function.name', I get the
> following error:
>
>  Error in tools:::fetchRdDB(RdDB, basename(file)) :
>    cannot allocate memory block of size 2.6 Gb
>
> I'm using R.app's built-in documentation viewer.
>
> I don't get the same error when I look at the docs for built-in
> functions, e.g. '?cos' works fine.
>
> Most of the .Rd files spit out by Roxygen are very simple, e.g. here's
> one that fails to be viewed, it has only 4 lines:
>
> in man/ndcg.Rd:
> \name{ndcg}
> \alias{ndcg}
> \title{ndcg}
> \usage{ndcg(pr, position=5, ...)}
>

> Anyone have any thoughts?

(1) Package development is an R-devel topic -- please see the posting
guide.

(2) Either the package has an enormous amount of documentation or
(more likely) the on-disc .Rd database for the package is corrupt.
Have you tried removing completely any previous installation and
re-installing -- that usually fixes similar errors?

(3) The 'minimal, self-contained, reproducible code' comment is likely
to apply if (2) does not solve this.

> Here's my R.version:

Next time please give the information in the format the posting guide
requested.

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk