[R] Fix for xlsReadWrite 1.5.2 running in R2.12.0 (32-bit) on a Win7 64-bit platform

Hans-Peter Suter gchappi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 00:50:02 CEST 2010

Argh, just now I saw a scrambled start-up message when running
xlsReadWrite1.5.2 in R2.12.0 (32-bit) on a Win7 64-bit platform. If
you have this situation and use xlsReadWrite 1.5.2 (probably all
earlier versions also) you can download a quick fix, see below. I
don't know if this also affects Vista/XP 64 bit. - Probably on the
weekend I'll have time to release a proper new 1.5.3 version.

This problem does _not_ occur on my Windows XP 32-bit and it also does
not occur when running earlier R versions (2.11, 2.10) on Win7 64bit.
No action is needed.

Problem description: as it seems, windows line endings (crlf) no
longer work in the above mentioned situation (at least in the startup
message, maybe also for other console messages). Unix line endings
(lf) seem to work fine, no more scrambling and the unit tests pass (of
course).

Fix (as mentioned only needed for R2.12 users on Win7 64 bit):
- you can download a fixed dll from the normal swissr dropbox:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2602516/swissrpkg/bin/win32/shlib/xlsReadWrite_1.5.2_dll.zip
(md5 value: 192e045ba939d78d5097863959b020bd). Just replace the
existing dll.
- another way would be to delete the xlsReadWrite package locally and
re-download from CRAN. The 'xls.getshlib()' command will fetch the
updated dll
- (I have removed the regular xlsReadWrite 1.5.2 package from the
dropbox bin/win32/2.12 branch as it contains a dll with the above
mentioned problem (unfortunately my make environment is broken for
R2.12 building atm))

When executing 'library(xlsReadWrite)' with the updated dll, the
startup message will read '..version 1.5.2 (sha1:
<commit_info_missing>)'. Changes have been pushed as
http://github.com/swissr/xlsreadwrite/commit/17a8d1c076b622f842cae443ebff00b1bb254bbe.

Cheers,
Hans-Peter
(author of xlsReadWrite)