[R] Newbie cross tabulation issue

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Sep 9 19:16:31 CEST 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 11:20 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Jonathan Finlay wrote:
>
>> Thanks David, gmodels::Crosstable partially work because can show
>> only 1 x 1
>> tablen
>> CrossTable(x,y,...)
>> I need something how can process at less 1 variable in X an 10 in Y.
>
> A further thought (despite a lack of clarification on what your data
> situation really is.). The strong tendency in R is not to attempt
> replication of formats in SAS that were developed in an era of dot-
> matrix printers, but to target modern output devices. As such most
> of the table output facilities with any degree of sophistication
> have LaTeX or HTML as targets.
>
> RSiteSearch("html tables") produces over 1000 links although they
> have many that are not for multiway tables where "multi" is greater
> than R x C. RSiteSearch("latex tables") produces many fewer.  You
> may want to look at xtable, Sweave, odfWeave, the various HTML
> utilities, and Harrell's Hmisc::summary.formula

Perhaps my final thought. It has none of the dividing lines, but
"ftable" is the standard method for displaying "flat" contingency
tables for greater than two dimensions. Try the examples on the help
page. If you wanted to add all that "+---+"-ing window dressing you
could concievable start with its code using:

getAnywhere(ftable.default)

.... and stick in the needed cat() statements. You can see how the
author of CrossTables proceeded by just typing the function name
without quotes:

CrossTables

--
David.