[R] R Founding

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Sep 17 10:04:41 CEST 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> On 09/17/2010 12:14 AM, Jeremy Miles wrote:

> As far as I remember, this requires that a real person opens
> the account, and takes on the associated tax issues. It may
> be different for US-based projects.

Nope -- all around the world, the governments think they
should have an ability to look into who is receiving a money
flow, and as banks and central banks operate within nation
states, I suppose they can enforce that ;)

> But seriously, even Springer can do "wire transfers" nowadays. Maybe we
> should just wait for the US banks to join the 21st century?

In the US the process is called an 'ACH' -- automated clearing
house -- transfer, and if one has a destination payee name,
destination bank name and routing number, and destination
bank account number or account number with that destination
payee, it is the mattter of a few second's work with a
'online bill payment' interface to make such transfers

The trick is that the variance and differing models of
national rules about what is permissible, and optionally, tax
deductable as a charitable contribution, vary all around the
world, and everyone wants to transfer to something and in a
way they understand

donation gridlock results until a donor someone simply asks
(as has need done here) and the recipient someone engages to
get the details solved.  I've worked through these details in
some detail with CentOS and if the principals of the R
foundation want more information, please contact me offlist
[some of the questions as to organizational specifics are in a
space where some personal data privacy matters come into play,
and need not be aired on a public and archived mailing list]

-- Russ herrold