[R] R Founding

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:07:48 CEST 2010

On 17/09/10 08:38, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 12:14 AM, Jeremy Miles wrote:
>>> I know from organizing a conference in Germany that the only really good way
>>> was and is ordinary money transfer via BIC and IBAN numbers. Unfortunately,
>>> this system is pretty unknown in the US. Europeans can easily use money
>>> transfer to the R foundation.
>>>

>> Paypal?
>>
>> Many open source  projects have a 'donate with paypal' button.
>>
>> Jeremy
>>

> As far as I remember, this requires that a real person opens the
> account, and takes on the associated tax issues. It may be different for
> US-based projects.
>
> Another option is to get the hosting institutions to accept credit
> cards, but they tend to balk at the transaction costs (with the result
> that conference organizers get driven to conference agencies with much
> greater handling fees...)
>
> But seriously, even Springer can do "wire transfers" nowadays. Maybe we
> should just wait for the US banks to join the 21st century?

1) I agree Jaroslaw - you can not buy the motivation you get from
participants who are doing it for the love of it, but especially now, in
tweaking out issues like memory usage and multicore, which effectively
are issues with which the user is only indirectly confronted (Wow - in
this release I can load a data.frame of 3GB... That's brilliant) would
be very suitable to be done by paid developers who have long working
expertise in these fields. I agree that the further development on the
outside (cli, packages, ...) will be most effectively done as it is now
- - by enthusiasts --- It worked so far, and why change it? Especially as
the main problems seem to be with the internal internals.

2) I just looked at GRASS and qgis - both have donate buttons ( see
http://grass.fbk.eu/donation.php and
http://www.qgis.org/en/sponsorship.html ). Foundations to GRASS are
managed through the Italien OSGeo Chapter. Maybe something similar would
be an option for R as well?

3) Funding not only has to contribute to financing coding, but also to
organise conferences, support participants, organise courses, etc.

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)