[R] rcom and safearray type of data

Alex Bird sunduck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 14:53:05 CEST 2010

Hello there,

  I started to use rcom package and there were no problems until I tried to
call some external function (method) which returns safearray type of data
where either me or rcom or something else fails. Specifically I connected to
a database and called a method doing something like this

require(rcom)
V8<-comCreateObject("V81.COMConnector")
con<-comInvoke(V8,"Connect","File=K:/")
result<-comGetProperty(con,"ExternalFunctions")
result$Test()

which returned me just NULL. I tried to call the same method from excel vba
by doing

Set V8 = CreateObject("V81.COMConnector")
Set con = V8.Connect("File=K:\")
result = con.ExternalFunctions.Test()
ActiveSheet.Range("A1", Cells(UBound(result, 2) + 1, UBound(result, 1) + 1))
= WorksheetFunction.Transpose(result)

which returned me what I expected to be returned - some kind of data.frame
with symbols and numbers.

Does anyone have any idea how one can retrieve such kind of data in R?
I use the latest rcom 2.2-3.1 (tried both precompiled one and compiled from
tar.gz).

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Alex