[R] Web forum - should I make one?

Vojtěch Zeisek vojtech.zeisek at opensuse.org
Tue Sep 21 19:55:19 CEST 2010

Hello

Dne Út 21. září 2010 11:55:02 Marc Schwartz napsal(a):
> Before creating yet another R discussion venue, you may wish to look at:
>
>   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r

My idea was about something like this, but more complex,  with categories and
tools. And only for R. :-) This looks like general developers discussion. When
I go to front page, it is hard to find anything about R...  And also I aimed
to make it an official part of R's infrastructure (after talking to
responsible people, of course).

Well, if You think the niche is filled, never mind, but I think R should have
an official web forum. It can be stackoverflow (then I'd expect links from
main R pages to it) or I (or someone else) can create it. Still, I think it is
good idea to create one... More opinions?

> The R-* e-mail lists are the "official" venues and you can read/post via
> e-mail. There are also other means of interacting with the e-mail lists
> using Gmane and Nabble.

Mailman is very good tool, but not for everything. And IMHO many people are
more used to search, ask and work on forums than on mailinglists.

> However, the Stack Overflow R forum has evolved as an independent online
> presence in the recent past, as an alternative for folks who prefer that
> mode of interaction.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>
> On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> > Did you look at:
> > http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php
> > ?

Wiki is not tool I mean. Well, I found there only one not working link and one
link to mostly Chinese forum... So nothing useful, I thing.

> > Kjetil

Best regards,
Vojtěch Zeisek

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Charles Uni., Prague, CZ
Institute of Botany, Academy of Science, Czech Republic
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.natur.cuni.cz/faculty-en?set_language=en
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/?p=index&site=en
http://www.opensuse.org/