[R] Web forum - should I make one?

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed Sep 22 07:30:26 CEST 2010

Ahh... I have almost forgotten the forum links I put in the R Wiki
four years ago! Thanks for reminding me!

As many Chinese users know, the Chinese R forum at http://cos.name/cn/
is pretty mature now. From my experience in maintaining this forum, I
can fully understand Vojtěch's proposal, and in fact I also considered
this years ago (see my "failure" at http://cos.name/en/). Mailing
lists are easier to post messages, but I really believe they have too
many disadvantages, e.g. (relatively) difficult to search, dull
interface, HTML not welcome (I don't like HTML in emails, though), no
lively images, no code highlighting, attachments often get chopped
off, no RSS to subscribe, admins are still fighting with spams somehow
manually (?), and imagine how painful it is for us to read the
"threaded" web archives...

In all, we don't have to refuse technologies, and I totally agree with
an official web forum for R. I am also willing to help if the R core
members decide to start such a project.

P. S. I was really surprised quite a few weeks ago when I noticed the
Omegahat project had set up a blog site
(http://omegahat.wordpress.com)! "Welcome to the web of the 21st
century!" was what I thought to myself.

Regards,