[R] efficient equivalent to read.csv / write.csv

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:58:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:49 AM, statquant2 <statquant at gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you very much for this sql package, the thing is that thoses table I
> read are loaded into memory once and for all, and then we work with the
> data.frames...
> Do you think then that this is going to be quicker (as I would have thougth
> that building the SQL DB from the flat file would already be a long
> process...)?

Even including that read.csv.sql is typically several times faster
than unoptimized read.csv for large files.   See the introductory
remarks on the sqldf home page which specifically address that.
http://sqldf.googlecode.com

In fact, just try it and see whether its ok for you.  Its just one
line of code to read in a file.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.