[R] 3D Graphics

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:11:00 CEST 2010

  On 29/09/2010 6:00 AM, JoH wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have made a scatter plot and placed a plane within it using scatterplot3d.
> However, I have been asked for the data points to be a surface plot or have
> the plane more closely resemble the data rather than show trends.
>
> I have since tried to use the rgl package. Why doesn't this package use the
> window which already contains graphics?

The usual graphics drivers don't support OpenGL, which rgl uses.  It
would probably be possible to implement a standard R graphics device on
an rgl canvas, but I don't know anyone who has done that.

> I have one axis with decreasing values and two others with increasing
> values, hence I get an error message when I've tried using pers3d.

You can always plot against negative x without labels, and add the
labels for positive x later (using persp3d and axis3d).

Duncan Murdoch