[R] Installing sp and rgdal libraries

Gary Nobles G.R.Nobles at rug.nl
Thu Sep 30 09:40:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am still a bit of a beginner with R but I had it all working spgrass6,
RMySQL, sp, etc...

Then I wanted to install spatstat, this required updating R, all was going
fine until I tried to connect to grass gis using spgrass6 library, it
wouldn't let be install the package due to a dependency with rgdal. rgdal
will not install as the sp package is 1:0.9-56-2 and sp requires a higher
version. I can not find a higher version.

Here is the error upon install.packages("rgdal")

** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : package 'sp' 0.9-56 was found, but >= 0.9.60 is required by 'rgdal'
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ârgdalâ
* removing â/home/gary/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.10/rgdalâ

The downloaded packages are in
        â/tmp/RtmpCtm6wH/downloaded_packagesâ
Warning message:
In install.packages("rgdal") :
  installation of package 'rgdal' had non-zero exit status

I would really like to learn and use R as it has so much time saving
potential as well as some great innovative functions which I can't find
anywhere else. Especially as it can link to grassgis.

Thank you for any help you can offer

Gary