[R] Different approach to set up Cohen Kappa

gavfung gavfung at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:38:19 CEST 2011

Hi, I just started learning R, and one of the most frequent thing that I need
to calculate is cohen kappa in my psychology lab and I figure being able to
do inter rater reliability is a great way for me to explore R.  There are
two different scenario in which I need help with. (By the way, I have
installed irr and concord.)

1) In the lab I am working in, we go through transcripts and find certain
words to code, and we usually compare the codes between two raters. In this
case, the two rater can agree (both rater coded "apple" with "A"), have a
mismatch (one rater coded "apple" with "A" but another coded it as "B") or a
miss (a rater coded "apple" with "A" but the other rater did not code it at
all). There are several codes with similar procedures and as the codes are
tallied together, a chart is constructed, similar to the one attached(
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3732320/example1.xls example1.xls )
title "example1.xls." The maroon color represents the cells with data, and
the lavender cells is just the total in each row/column.

My question in this case is How would I calculate the Cohen Kappa for the
cell shaded in maroon?

2)I helped run participants over the summer for a psych summer internship
and after coding them, I will enter the data as shown in the attachment
title "example2.xls (
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3732320/example2.xls example2.xls )
There is also another research assistant that entered the data and I want to
find a way to check whether we are reliable or not, and want to calculate
reliability for the following:TimeI, TimeA, TriesI, and TriesA.

Once again, i would need to convert the excel file into csv, but aside from
that, I am lost as to what I need to do.  Any help is appreciated!  Thank
you!