[R] Sweave: pdf-graphics got three times lager with R 2.13.1

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Aug 11 18:19:20 CEST 2011

On 04.08.2011 13:44, eriksengewald wrote:
> Dear R-Users,
>
> I am using R for years now but recently I encounter a problem with the
> pdf-size of graphics generated with sweave. However, I am new in this forum.
> Hence, please don't hesitate if I am wrong here.
>
> I use a script which runs perfectly in R 2.11.1 and the pdf-size of the
> graphs is about 3 KB. Running the same script with R 2.13.1 the file size
> increases to 12 KB. I am using about 300 pdf-pictures in my tex-file,
> generated by sweave. So this change in file size is dramatic for the finally
> pdf-file.
>
> Has somebody an explanation for this phenomenon?

Sometimes improvements to the device functions may lead to such a
phenomenon. In this case maybe since the plots are actually really
small, some overhead matters.

A minimal reproducible example would help that someone looks into the
details, but I doubt this is too important here. I also doubt this is
Sweave related. Have you tried a minimal example with the pdf() device
directly? Have you read the NEWs about changes since R-2.11.1?

Best,
Uwe Ligges