[R] install packages from intranet

Peter Aberline peter_aberline at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:40:51 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm new to R. Apologies if this is a simple query, I've searched the mailing lists and docs but can't find a solution to my problem.

I'm trying to make some packages available on our intranet. During development the 'intranet' is a webserver running on localhost.

* When I call "install.packages" I get a mesage about not being able to access 'index for repository'.
* The directories are viewable and can be seen through a web browser.
* Web server is IIS running on Winows 7.
* I've used the same paths on the web server as where the packages are located in the CRAN mirror's.
* I've tried setting setInternet2(TRUE), which was already set.

> r <- getOption("repos");
> r["CRAN"] = "http://localhost"
> r["CRANextra"] = "http://localhost/pub/RWin"
> options(repos=r)
                       CRAN                   CRANextra
         "http://localhost" "http://localhost/pub/RWin"

> install.packages("abind")
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/bin/windows/cont
rib/2.13
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/pub/RWin/bin/win
dows/contrib/2.13
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
  package 'abind' is not available (for R version 2.13.1)

OR

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/bin/windows/contrib/2.13/abind_1.3-0.zip
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
  package ‘abind’ is not available (for R version 2.13.1)

Can anyone give me any clues as to what I'm doing wrong? Does R need some kind of index file to map between the name 'abind' and the zip filename?

Many thanks
Peter.