[R] install packages from intranet

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Aug 12 17:19:44 CEST 2011

On 12.08.2011 11:40, Peter Aberline wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to R. Apologies if this is a simple query, I've searched the mailing lists and docs but can't find a solution to my problem.
>
> I'm trying to make some packages available on our intranet. During development the 'intranet' is a webserver running on localhost.
>
> * When I call "install.packages" I get a mesage about not being able to access 'index for repository'.
> * The directories are viewable and can be seen through a web browser.
> * Web server is IIS running on Winows 7.
> * I've used the same paths on the web server as where the packages are located in the CRAN mirror's.
> * I've tried setting setInternet2(TRUE), which was already set.
>

>> r<- getOption("repos");
>> r["CRAN"] = "http://localhost"
>> r["CRANextra"] = "http://localhost/pub/RWin"
>> options(repos=r)
>                         CRAN                   CRANextra
>           "http://localhost" "http://localhost/pub/RWin"
>
>> install.packages("abind")
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/bin/windows/cont
> rib/2.13
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/pub/RWin/bin/win
> dows/contrib/2.13
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>    package 'abind' is not available (for R version 2.13.1)
>>

> OR
>
>> install.packages("abind", contriburl="http://localhost/bin/windows/contrib/2.13")
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/bin/windows/contrib/2.13
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>    package ‘abind’ is not available (for R version 2.13.1)
>
> OR
>
>>    install.packages("abind", contriburl="http://localhost/bin/windows/contrib/2.13/abind_1.3-0.zip")
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://localhost/bin/windows/contrib/2.13/abind_1.3-0.zip
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>    package ‘abind’ is not available (for R version 2.13.1)
>>

> Can anyone give me any clues as to what I'm doing wrong? Does R need some kind of index file to map between the name 'abind' and the zip filename?

Right, the PACKAGES file. You will find it in any repository.
If you only have a selectio of packages on your local server, you can
use  write_PACKAGES() from the tools package to generate your own.
Anyway, if you make a local repository available: Does it make sense to
just install all of them into a library that can be accessed from all
machines you aimed at with the local repository?

Uwe Ligges