[R] what can one do with (to) '..." ?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Aug 16 01:47:09 CEST 2011

I followed a couple threads from the archives and from
stackoverflow.com, and would like to know: just what is "..."  ?  What I
mean by this is,for example, from the point of view of a user running a
function in debug mode,  is "..." an object, or does it exist in the
current environment as some thingy?

Maybe a better question to ask is: if I were to write some function that
accepts "..." for its own personal use, how do I access the optional
arguments?   Do I simply have to do a series of 'match' or 'pmatch'  on
the output of list(...) , or is there a more direct way to get at the
variables?

If there is a R programmer's manual that discusses this, I'm happy to
read that, so just let me know.

thanks
Carl

--