[R] X11 problem

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Fri Aug 26 06:31:01 CEST 2011

Thanks.  I had never heard of "build-dep".

Further on you said:
> You can always read up :-)

Sure.  But there is a virtually infinite amount of stuff that one could
read, only a tiny fraction of which is relevant.  And much of which is
confusing, frustratingly obscure, bewildering, sometimes misleading,
and sometimes downright incorrect. Finding and *recognizing* the
relevant (and correct) stuff, without already *knowing* the information
being sought, and without roadmaps, is more often than not virtually
impossible.  I think that perhaps Rumsfeld's concept of ``unknown
unknowns'' applies here.

     cheers,

         Rolf

On 26/08/11 09:17, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 26 August 2011 at 08:39, Rolf Turner wrote:
> |
> | Carole:
> |
> | If you really need to install R from source you probably need to do:
> |
> |      sudo apt-get update
> |      sudo apt-get install libx11-dev
> |
> | before you do your ./configure and make.
>
> Whoever _really_ insists on building locally should use the _knowledge
> embedded in the packaging system_ and instread say
>
>         sudo apt-get build-dep r-base

<SNIP>