[R] X11 problem

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Aug 25 23:17:56 CEST 2011

On 26 August 2011 at 08:39, Rolf Turner wrote:

| Carole:
|
| If you really need to install R from source you probably need to do:
|
|      sudo apt-get update
|      sudo apt-get install libx11-dev
|
| before you do your ./configure and make.

Whoever _really_ insists on building locally should use the _knowledge
embedded in the packaging system_ and instread say

       sudo apt-get build-dep r-base

which will install everything that gets installed when the actual package is
built by the distribution, namely:

       Build-Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.1.0), g++ (>= 4:4.1.0), gfortran (>=
           4:4.1.0), libblas-dev, liblapack-dev (>= 3.1.1), tcl8.5-dev,
           tk8.5-dev, bison, groff-base, libncurses5-dev, libreadline-dev,
           debhelper (>= 7.2.3), texi2html, texinfo (>= 4.1-2), libbz2-dev,
           liblzma-dev, libpcre3-dev, xdg-utils, zlib1g-dev, libpng12-dev,
           libjpeg-dev, libx11-dev, libxt-dev, x11proto-core-dev,
           libpango1.0-dev, libcairo2-dev, libtiff4-dev, xvfb, xauth,
           xfonts-base, texlive-base, texlive-latex-base,
           texlive-generic-recommended, texlive-fonts-recommended,
           texlive-extra-utils, texlive-latex-recommended,
           texlive-latex-extra, texinfo, texi2html, openjdk-6-jdk [!arm !hppa
           !kfreebsd-i386 !kfreebsd-amd64 !hurd-i386 !mips]

Otherwise you are likely to miss some features.

| If you just want to install the binary, you could try
|
|      sudo apt-get update
|      sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

That is indeed a _much, much better idea_ and the generally recommended
path.  Even the R Installation and Administration suggests to look up what
the R FAQ has to say in matter, and it points to

| (Well, that seems to work for me!  It's kind of a magic incantation from
| my pov; don't really know what I'm doing. :-) )

You can always read up :-)

Dirk

--
Two new Rcpp master classes for R and C++ integration scheduled for
New York (Sep 24) and San Francisco (Oct 8), more details are at