[R] How to load the data set from an URL Link?

Henser henserghai at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:34:38 CET 2011

My problem is very easy, but it took me hours without a solution.

So, I have to take any data set from UCI repository website for example this
one which is about consensus income:

http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets/Census+Income

And here is the data folder:

http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/machine-learning-databases/adult/

My task is to caculate to do this:
a) Calculate measures of centrality (mean, median,...), dispersion (IQR,
standard
deviation...) and shape (skewness and kurtosis).
b) Make histograms, normal probability plots, bar plots, box-plots and stem
and leaf
plots.
c) Study the relation between, at least, two quantitative variables with a
linear
regression model.

The first big problem is: how to load the data base into R? Can someone give
me the code? It took me hours without finding the solutions.
The second question is where can I get the code for calculating the mean?
The reason I found different types of codes but I dont know which one is
correct so I am rather confused. (I have never used R before,I just
installed it on Windows). Can someone give me the code for mean and a code
for a bar plot so that in this I can try to solve all the questions. I only
need initial help. Thanks!