[R] cannot access the functions in the package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 15:52:16 CET 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-12-08 1:30 PM, Weizeng Ni wrote:
>> hi, I am using the package of "Fslector" which contains a function
>> named
>> "information.gain". I want to see the detailed code of this
>> function. the
>> result shows
>>
>>> information.gainfunction (formula, data)
>> {
>>     information.gain.body(formula, data, type = "infogain")
>> }
>>

>> When I then try to see the code of  information.gain.body, it shows
>> Error: could not find function "information.gain.body".
>>
>> Why cannot I get access to the codes?
>>
> You probably need to use Fslector:::information.gain.body, or (even
> better) look at the source for the package, which you should be able
> to get using
>
> download.packages("Fslector", type="source", destdir=<your directory>)

I'm not educated enough to know off the top of my head whether

Fslector:::information.gain.body

... is exactly equivalent to:

getAnywhere(Fslector)

.... but typing those two function names at the console prompt makes
me think they may have some differences, but still for me they have
seemed pretty much equivalent:

`:::`
getAnywhere

The second one was recommended by Uwe Ligges in his Help Desk article
a few years back on "accessing the sources".

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2006-4.pdf

Can also be found at (a page with which I was unfamiliar with until
RSeek just showed it to me):
http://developer.r-project.org/TechDocs/

That page looks to me to be an excellent second course in R after the
"Introduction"

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT