[R] dotchart {graphics} 2.11.1 vs. 2.12.1

Van Patten, Isaac T ivanpatt at RADFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 1 15:52:02 CET 2011

I have a factor vector of subject races (Asian, Black, Hispanic, White; n=30) that I want to plot with a Cleveland dotplot or dotchart.

I tried the following in R2.12.1 :

> dotchart(table(school$Race))
Error in plot.xy(xy.coords(x, y), type = type, ...) : invalid plot type

Using the same data set in R2.11.1 the operation succeeded (I tried several variations to be sure):

> dotchart(table(school$Race))
> race2<-table(school$Race)
> dotchart(race2)
> dotchart(race2, pch=17,col="red")

Each of these worked in 2.11.1 but not in 2.12.1;  What changed in the {graphics} package to alter this and is there a work-around?

Isaac T. Van Patten, Ph.D.
Professor of Criminal Justice
307 Adams Street, Office 1A
Box 6934, Radford University
Radford, VA 24142
(540)831-6737
ivanpatt at radford.edu
http://ivanpatt.asp.radford.edu
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is;
It doesn't matter how smart you are;
If it doesn't agree with the [data], its wrong.
                                            -Richard Feynman