[R] dotchart {graphics} 2.11.1 vs. 2.12.1

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 16:09:52 CET 2011

Hi,

Its a bit messy, but here is a quick work around:

dotchart(as.matrix(table(infert$education))[,1])

I wonder if this has something to do with the addition of table
methods for points() and lines().  I'll post back if I find anything
more out.

Cheers,

Josh

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Van Patten, Isaac T
<ivanpatt at radford.edu> wrote:
> I have a factor vector of subject races (Asian, Black, Hispanic, White; n=30) that I want to plot with a Cleveland dotplot or dotchart.
>
> I tried the following in R2.12.1 :
>
>> dotchart(table(school$Race))
> Error in plot.xy(xy.coords(x, y), type = type, ...) : invalid plot type
>
> Using the same data set in R2.11.1 the operation succeeded (I tried several variations to be sure):
>
>> dotchart(table(school$Race))
>> race2<-table(school$Race)
>> dotchart(race2)
>> dotchart(race2, pch=17,col="red")
>
> Each of these worked in 2.11.1 but not in 2.12.1;  What changed in the {graphics} package to alter this and is there a work-around?
>
> Isaac T. Van Patten, Ph.D.
> Professor of Criminal Justice
> 307 Adams Street, Office 1A
> Box 6934, Radford University
> Radford, VA 24142
> (540)831-6737
> ivanpatt at radford.edu
> http://ivanpatt.asp.radford.edu
> It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is;
> It doesn't matter how smart you are;
> If it doesn't agree with the [data], its wrong.
>                                            -Richard Feynman

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles