[R] Inverse Gaussian Distribution

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jan 4 14:52:46 CET 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 7:50 AM, Louisa wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> But i'm wondering:
>
> if you run
>
> area <- factor(area, levels=c("C", "A","B","D","E","F") )
>
> then you are transforming only 'area',  aren't you?
>
> isn't it possible to transform the whole data like i did for agecat
> but now for area and area C as baseline,

Of course, but may I point out that you did no earlier say that you
may have attached a dataframe containing "area". There are many
confusing situations that arise when using attached dataframes and
this may be one of them. Many experienced R users avoid attaching data
objects like the plague.

> or are you doing so when you run
>
>> area <- factor(area, levels=c("C", "A","B","D","E","F") )
>> attach(data)
>
> and then run the model with area as predictorvariable:
>
>> model <- glm(Y~ agecat+gender+area,...)

> My question is if i can run it as follows and still have a right
> solution :
>
>> data <-transform(data, area=(factor(area, levels=c("C",

Is there any reason that you suspect this will not work? Why not try
it ... now assumimg that you failed to tell us that area was a column
in a dataframe that is. (One set of parentheses appear extraneous.)

data <-transform(data, area = factor(area, levels=c("C",

(Untested in the absence of reproducible example ,,, but it looks as
though it might work.)