[R] Problem with package development

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 08:11:03 CEST 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Nipesh Bajaj wrote:

> I have been struggling for last one hour but not yet any through.
>
> However again I recreate the package.skeleton and run R CMD check trial3
>
> Here are the errors:
>
> warning in dir.create(pkgoutdir, mode = "0755"):
> cannot create dir 'c:\Program files\R\R-2.13.0\bin\trial3.Rcheck',
> reason .................
> Error in printLog(Log, "", text, "\n"): object 'Log' not found
> Execution haulted
>
> Why I am getting this error? what is that "Log". I will really
> appreciate if somebody please help me to figure out.

R CMD check writes a (in your case) trial3.Rcheck directory, and in
there in file 00check.log a copy of the log.  If it cannot create
trial3.Rcheck it cannot write the log.

I would be surprised that even on Windows Vista the message was
literally

> reason .................

but if it was, blame Microsoft for their error messages.
But
> cannot create dir 'c:\Program files\R\R-2.13.0\bin\trial3.Rcheck',

is clear enough.  You need to run 'R CMD check' in your user area.
In case you did this because that is where you though 'R' was, it is
not the correct R.exe.   You may need to add

c:\Program Files\R\R-2.13.0\bin\i386

(assuming 32-bit R) to your path.

However, your use of e.g. 'Program files' suggests you are not
accurately transmitting the messages you got.