[R] Installing packages

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jun 24 12:38:49 CEST 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 4:29 AM, thomas.chesney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install the network package at my work computer.

Which is a machine of what sort? (Most likely a Mac from subsequent
error messages)

> I'm using R
> version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
>
> At home I can use the Package Installer, but at work this is blocked
> by our
> firewall. What I usually do is download the Mac binary and copy it to
> R.Framework/Resources/Library, but this isn't working with network.
> I get
> the following, which I think means I have the wrong binary for my
> version of
> R? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared object
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12/Resources/library/
> network/libs/i386/network.so':

It appears to me that you have gotten a source version of the package.
There is a binary version for the Mac, at least there is with R
version 2.13.x. Sometimes when trying to install with older versions
of R there are difficulties. My suggestions:

0) Delete '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12/Resources/
library/network/' folder
1) Update R
2) Install binary version
3) post subsequent question of this nature to the Mac-SIG list.