[R] Persistent storage between package invocations

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Mar 15 19:34:26 CET 2011

It would be nice to have a standard directory where R can write things
this way.  A semi-standard directory is given by
Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER"), which defaults to ~/R/.../.  Maybe ~/R/
could serve as that convention?  That way we (various developers etc)
would also not clutter up users home directory in "random" ways.

Personally I prefer a hidden directory, e.g. ~/.R/, but there are pros
and cons with such an approach.

/Henrik