[R] Persistent storage between package invocations

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 18 10:52:49 CET 2011

    > It would be nice to have a standard directory where R can
    > write things this way.  A semi-standard directory is given
    > by Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER"), which defaults to ~/R/.../.
    > Maybe ~/R/ could serve as that convention?  That way we
    > (various developers etc) would also not clutter up users
    > home directory in "random" ways.

    > Personally I prefer a hidden directory, e.g. ~/.R/, but
    > there are pros and cons with such an approach.

{ this becomes more and more a topic for R-devel ...
  where the thread really should have been  started  (!) }

I agree that it would be nice...
*iff* it can be provided in a  platform-agnostic way.
I'm not enough of a Mac or Windows user to be in a position to
answer that with a view towards all the possibilities R is used.

WRT to ~/.R/ and ~/R/  I agree with your preference of using
~/.R/  as that has *already* been used for other configuration
settings, and it seems awkward to have both side by side.

Martin