[R] Does R have a "const object"?

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 16 17:54:26 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM,  <luke-tierney at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
>> That would defeat the purpose.  Unlocking things in base may be useful
>> for experimenting or debugging but it is not a good idea otherwise.
>
> You are making experimenting in R more awkward? Then I'm throwing
> "That would defeat the purpose" straight back at you. I remember when
> R was all about the experimenting. Of course it was called Splus back
> then and was only available in grainy black-and-white...

And how does seeing a warning reminding you that you are dong
something experimental that might break things make experimenting more
awkward?  Since you wouldn't like to see such warnings in production
code this does make doing something in production code that can break
other people's code more awkward.  As I do actually care bout whether
my code works or not I'm fine with that.

luke

--
Luke Tierney
Statistics and Actuarial Science