[R] setting up a R working group

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 15:15:07 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Joanne Demmler <J.Demmler at swansea.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear R users,

Hi

> we are currently trying to set up a R working group at Swansea University.
> I would be very grateful to get some information and feedback from R users
> that have done something similar, in particular regarding:

We started one,but it fell apart after I left the University - first
lesson: you need a critical mass and at least two people who are
prepared to drive it.

> - help with giving a general overview of what R is capable of
> - help with what to present or teach (did you organise your own training
> programme or did you get someone from outside?)

We managed with organising it internally, but there were topics, for
which external lecturers were very useful - it depends what expertise
your R userbase has. It is always better to do the training
internally, as then there is always the possibility to go back to the
person who taught the course.

> - are there people out there who would like to present their work to us?

I guess that depends if you are able / willing to at least are
prepared to provide travel expenses and what you expect?

> Any help will be highly appreciated!

Welcome - and please fel free to ask more detailed questions. By the
way - there is also a sig R-teach which might also be of help.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Thanks Joanne
>
> --