[R] Feature request: rating/review system for R packages

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Mon Mar 21 10:55:43 CET 2011

On 03/21/2011 04:33 AM, Janko Thyson wrote:
Hi Janko,
As Dieter said, Crantastic is an opportunity for R users to give both
quickie ratings and reviews of packages. I have to say that doing a
review isn't trivial. I feel that I should use a package for a while
before I can review it, and the big packages would take quite some time
to work through even the majority of functions, especially if you didn't
normally use them. Nonetheless, I try to keep a running tally on the
packages that I use, and when I've got a feeling for the capability,
reliability and ease of use, I try to sit down and write one. I have an
idea that many packages are downloaded and one or two useful functions
are used a lot by any given user.

Ben's idea has been floated before, but either no one has put it
together or I haven't heard of it. That would probably produce a lot
more information, and the sum of a package's usage is meaningful.

Jim