[R] Using error in histograms

Kristof Ostir krostir at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:15:36 CEST 2011

Hello!

I am trying to produce a histogram of measurement data (orientation of
archaeological structures) that are a subject to measurement error.
The normal histogram just computes frequencies, but does not take into
account that a particular value is spread over a range of values (in
my case the spread is different for reach measurement and is larger
than the bin size).

The closest approach is kernel density estimation (in the image is a
comparison of histogram and KDE):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_density_estimation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Comparison_of_1D_histogram_and_KDE.png
However in my case the kernel size is different for each value. I
wrote a program in IDL that performs the plotting, but am just
wondering if such a function is available in R. Basically it is a
problem of summing (and later plotting) several data distributions.

I would appreciate also any hint to a book that might be dealing with
the problem. I am not an expert in statistics and I might not be using
use the correct terminology in web searches.

Regards,

Kristof