[R] Embedding R's math expressions fonts for graphics generated by pdf() and postscript()

Vinh Nguyen vqnguyen at uci.edu
Fri May 13 03:53:24 CEST 2011

Dear list,

First, I am not writing to ask about embedding Computer Modern font in
graphics produced by R.

I am generating plots to be saved using pdf() and postscript() in R,
and I make use of some math expressions that are provided by R,
namely, some greek letters.  My question is, do I need to embed the
fonts that include these math symbols (say, if they are going out for
publication, to have a self-contained file)?

According to the documentation of the function embedFonts:

     This function is not necessary if you just use the standard
     default fonts for PostScript and PDF output.

I am not sure whether the math symbols are "standard default fonts".
I ask because I have "mu" in a pdf generated by R.  The file displays
fine in xpdf, but I get a different symbol when viewed with evince.
Not sure whether it's a font issue or it's an evince issue.

Thank you for your time.

-- Vinh